Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Marmande Tomato

Catalog #TM119 Photo, description and reviews retrieved from: http://www.rareseeds.com/marmande-tomato/?F_Keyword=marmande
Semi-determinate 70 days. Popular old French variety developed by the Vilmorin Seed Co. Scarlet, lightly ribbed fruit have the full rich flavor that is so enjoyed in Europe. Medium-large size fruit are produced even in cool weather. Productive market variety. Imported European seed.

I grew only eight of these plants last year and they were generous and tasty producers and did not get the usual leaf problems. Our climate is very hot and dry and I used drip irrigation. The most remarkable thing about them was that I took them camping with me and they lasted 17 days and kept firm to the end. I will definitely grow them again.

Tolerated a cool wet summer in Ontario, Canada near Algonquin Park. Very productive.

I grew six varieties this year, all from baker creek. I think this was my least favorite variety. I like juicy tomatoes vs the kind with thick walls and this one was juicy but I didn't think the flavor was much better than a grocery store tomato. It was just ok…They are good producers with nice-sized fruit (larger and flatter than a baseball) I think they might make some good sun-drieds but not so much for fresh eating…I think I will try a different red variety next year.

Phyllis’ Notes:
Marmande Tomato plants for sale at the Clintonville Farmers' Market this Saturday, May 24th, from 9-1. Come ready this summer to CFM to sample more than 20 varieties of tomatoes from Granny B Farms. See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time read Granny B's blogspot. Please let us know your comments or questions.