Saturday, May 10, 2014

Amish Paste Tomato

Catalog #0107 Photo and description retrieved from:
http://www.seedsavers.org/onlinestore/tomato_3/Tomato-Amish-Paste.html
(Solanum lycopersicum) First listed in the 1987 SSE Yearbook by Thane Earle of Whitewater, Wisconsin. Commercialized by Tom Hauch of Heirloom Seeds, who acquired it from the Amish near Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Bright red 8-12 ounce fruits vary in shape from oxheart to rounded plum. Delicious flesh is juicy and meaty, excellent for sauce or fresh eating. One of Slow Food USA’s Ark of Taste varieties. Indeterminate, 85 days from transplant.

Reviews from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds customers.

I LOVE the Amish Paste Roma. The size makes it easy to use. The flavor makes it fun to eat and it is not as acidy as most tomatoes. I was introduced to the Amish Paste about 5 years ago, I have not used any other tomato since then. I plant big veggie gardens every year and do a lot of canning and I just want to say the Amish Paste was a God send. The size is like WOW, lovin it. It has made my canning so much easier and fun to do.

My search was over for the best tasting "paste" tomato, after one bite of a ripe Amish Paste. In fact, out of the 100 tomato varieties that I've grown, this tomato is in my top 10 favorites for best taste (according to my taste buds). The plant itself was healthy, although I wouldn't call it a dazzlingly beautiful or a super robust plant with lots of foliage, but my gosh, it made up for it in producing some of the best tasting tomatoes that I've ever eaten and loads of them, too!

This was my mother's favorite for canning. I have tried other varieties, but mom's always right. Delicious, great sauce, but juicy enough for slicing, and much larger and easier to handle than the Roma. Retrieved from: http://www.rareseeds.com/amish-paste/?F_Keyword=amish%20paste

Phyllis' Notes:

Amish Paste Tomato plants for sale at the Clintonville Farmers' Market beginning Saturday, May 17th, from 9-1. Come ready this summer to CFM to sample more than 20 varieties of tomatoes from Granny B Farms. See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time read Granny B's blogspot. Please let us know your comments or questions.